Sony Xperia XZ2 review
Dynamic Vibration System and 4K HDR video recording
The Sony Xperia XZ2 brings the highest level of technology and performance. So, if you are looking for a 2018 flagship smartphone, the Sony Xperia XZ2 should be on your list.
HDR movies and TV shows
The Sony Xperia XZ2 has one of the largest screens around. It measures 5.7” and has Full HD+ resolution. The display is of the new longer (18:9) types, which gives extra rows of pixels, so that you do less scrolling (2160 x 1080 pixels).
|Sony Xperia XZ2 black deals|
You can watch HDR movies or HDR TV shows that are available on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. This Sony phone will even upscale Standard Dynamic Range images to near High Dynamic Range for you.
The display is clearly one of the best around and offers 30% more colour, from a wider palette, compared to standard displays.
The Sony Xperia XZ2 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor with 4GB RAM. This is probably the fastest processor around and offers:
- Super fast downloading - Download a TV series in as little as 20 seconds
- 30% faster processing - Compared to processors used in previous phones
- Fast video and photo opening - 3x faster than before
Sony has ditched its Loop Surface design and instead the Sony Xperia XZ2 gets smooth curves that feel great in the palm of your hand. Made from 3D Corning Gorilla Glass 5, both the front and back face are extremely durable.
You can buy a Sony Xperia XZ2 in Liquid Silver, Liquid Black, Ash Pink or Deep Green. In all cases, the phone weighs in at 197g and has a thinness of 11.1mm, at its thickest point.
If you buy a Xperia XZ2, then you will also love having a IP65 and IP68 certified protection against the rain, liquid spills and dust.
Phone Set Up
A fingerprint sensor offers security and this has been positioned dead center, on the back face. This is lower than what we normally see, but it still feels completely natural to use.
The Sony Xperia XZ2 has a 64GB memory and this is pretty generous, when compared to other smartphones. There is a microSD card slot, just in case you need more memory at some point in the future.
This remains a possibility because 4K videos and super slow motion videos do take up a little space. The memory expansion slot accepts cards with a value of up to 400GB and again this is a lot higher than what we normally see (256GB is typical).
Louder speakers & Dynamic Vibration System
Sony products always produce exceptional sound and the stereo S-force Front Surround speakers are the loudest ever used on an Xperia phone. High resolution audio can be enjoyed and the DSEE HX software lifts up compressed music files, so that they sound closer to the sound quality of the original recording.
|Sony Xperia XZ2 blue deals|
You can tune the audio using the inbuilt equaliser and feel a thudding bass, delivered by Sony’s Clear Bass technology. Just in case you don’t want to use headphones with a USB Type-C connector, there is a 3.5mm audio jack adapter in the box.
The Sony Xperia XZ2 also comes with the innovative Dynamic Vibration System. This analyses audio so that you can feel the action in your hand. You can turn this feature on and off, which is useful for when you are not listening to music, watching video or playing games.
OS & Sony apps
The Xperia XZ2 uses Google’s Android Oreo operating system, giving you the latest experience and the Google virtual assistant. Apps from Sony are a bonus and these include:
- PS4 Remote Play
- AR effect
- Xperia Lounge
- Movie Creator
Camera & Video
Motion Eye camera & 4K HDR recording
The excellent 19MP Motion Eye camera is the first smartphone camera to have 4K HDR video recording. This captures images with more contrast, detail and colour.
Standout camera features include:
- Super slow motion video recording - Record at a rate of 960 frames per second.
- Predictive Capture - The shutter is triggered by a smile or by motion.
- 3D Creator - Scan any object (using the Motion Eye or 5MP selfie camera) and turn it into a 3D avatar, which you can share on social media or print out using a 3D printer. Capture modes include food, faces, head and free-form and there is a morph tool, which adds even more fun to this avatar tool.
Further camera tools include autofocus burst, 8x digital zoom, Quick Launch & Capture, an anti-distortion shutter, SteadyShot and triple image sensing technology.
|Sony Xperia XZ2 silver deals|
The lens of the camera is positioned more towards the middle of the back face, making it easier to frame photos like a pro. With this positioning, the Sony Xperia XZ2 has a rather unique look to it.
The battery has a capacity of 3,180mAh and this should get even heavy users through the day. There are a few clever peices of technology that work to give you the best battery experience:
- Smart Stamina - This predicts how much battery you will use, based upon your normal usage patterns. Using this data, the phone prompts you to activate STAMINA mode if it thinks you will run out of power during the day.
- Battery Care and Qnovo Adaptive Charging - If you have found that your battery life diminishes over time, then you will be glad to know that the battery in this phone will not suffer the same issue. By managing the charging current and by only charging the last 10% of the battery jus before your morning alarm goes off, the phone ensures battery performance doesn’t deteriorate.
The Sony Xperia XZ2 also supports wireless charging and Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
Next: Huawei P20 Pro review
Written by: Michael Brown