Sony Xperia XZ Premium review
World’s first smartphone with a 4K HDR display
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium is the world’s first smartphone with a 4K HDR display and overall, it is arguably the most elite smartphone on the market. You can find out about this Sony phone in our Sony Xperia XZ Premium review.
4K HDR display
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium has a large 5.5” 4K HDR display. We have seen Sony use a 4K display before (Sony Xperia X Performance) but this is the first time that we see a 4K display enhanced with HDR.
|Sony Xperia X Performance|
For the viewer, this means that they can watch 4K content with improved colour, contrast and clarity. 4K HDR content is available through Amazon Prime Video and you can download or stream Amazon Originals series shot in this format.
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium has a front and back glass surface that is made from ultra-durable Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The phone can be purchased in Luminous Chrome or Deepsea Black and has premium elements, such as a stainless steel camera lens ring.
New: Nokia 5 review
Practicality is offered with IP65/IP68 certification for water and dust resistance. Inside there is a high-performance Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor with 4GB RAM. All of this tech adds up in the weight depart though and at 195g it is one of the heavier phones around.
Phone Set Up
Security and storage
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium has a fingerprint sensor integrated into the power button and a generous 64GB internal memory for moving your old smartphone content onto. A microSD card slot, for cards with a value of up to 256GB, is ready for those who need extreme storage.
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium has extreme musical prowess and uses High-Resolution Audio to preserve the original clarity and detail of music. Sony uses many of its audio technologies on this phone, the most notable of which includes Clear Audio+, a stereo speaker with S-Force Front Surround and Clear Bass.
|Sony mobile phone reviews|
DSEE HX lifts the quality of compressed music files so they sound closer to studio quality. If you listen music through earphones, then even more technology is at work to ensure that you cannot hear background noise and to create a 3D surround sound effect.
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium runs Google’s Android 7.1 Nougat operating system and this is complemented by a series of Sony apps. Xperia Actions learn from the things that you do, such as turning on silent mode, to make these activities automated. PS4 Remote Play is also available, allowing you to play games anywhere in your home using its Wi-Fi.
If you transfer content between devices and computers, then USB 3.1 makes it ten times faster to move files (compared to USB 2.0) at 5Gbps.
Camera & Video
Motion Eye camera
It is unusual that we discuss video recording before photography but in the case of the Sony Xperia XZ Premium it makes sense, due to its advanced features.
The 19MP Motion Eye camera captures motion that the human eye cannot see and for super slow motion, the camera captures 960 frames per second. This means that slow motion playback is four times slower than that on any other smartphone.
Predictive Capture starts to buffer the action, even before you press record, while the Movie Creator can be used for editing and sharing videos on Facebook. If you want to capture video on the move, then SteadyShot enables the capturing of footage while jogging or biking.
For photography, Sony has used its tech from its Cyber-shot cameras to deliver superior low light quality. The new Exmor RS for mobile sensor has bigger pixels and this coupled with other features such as Predictive Hybrid Autofocus, the anti-distortion shutter and 0.5 seconds Quick Launch & Capture.
The selfie camera has an impressive resolution at 13MP and the 22mm wide-angle lens permits the taking of group selfies.
There is nothing worse than not knowing if your battery is going to make it to the end of the day, but that is a thing of the past, with Smart Stamina and the Sony Xperia XZ Premium.
Smart Stamina learns how you use your power through the day and makes adjustments to ensure that you don’t run out of power, by activating power saving before the 3,230mAh capacity drains to critical levels.
The power system also uses Qnovo Adaptive Charging and Battery Care to ensure that battery performance isn’t lost over time. In addition to monitoring and adapting the charging power based on battery temperature, the system also only charges the battery to 90% and then through habit learning, it charges the remaining 10% just before the phone is unplugged from the charger. These technologies work to ensure the battery lasts twice as long a battery charged using standard methods.
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium is Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 ready, but to take advantage of the faster charging speeds you will require the Quick Charger UCH12W, sold separately.
Next review: LG G6 review
Written by: Michael Brown