LG V40 ThinQ review
Five camera phone
Our LG V40 ThinQ review finds a smartphone that pretty much has it all. There is, of course, the 5-camera setup, a big screen with amazing resolution, and the durability of a tough phone. This LG phone also gives access to a series of interesting features that lifts it above much of its competition.
The LG V40 ThinQ has an OLED FullVision 6.4” QHD display. We can break this down as follows:
- OLED – This type of screen is super energy-efficient and gives you the option to turn on an Always-On Display.
- FullVision – The screen fills the front face of the phone with an elongated 19.5:9 screen-aspect-ratio.
- QHD – Even more detailed than Full HD, there are 3,120×1,440 pixels, giving an incredible 538 pixels per inch.
There is also a Screen Colour feature that can be set to Auto or you can manually choose a colour setup that is tailored to Sports, Games, Cinema, Photos, Expert or the Web.
Keep up to Date
Fill in the form and be the first to know when the LG V40 ThinQ is released.
The LG V40 ThinQ is ready for a hard-knocks life with MIL-STD-810G certified shock resistance and strong Corning Gorilla Glass 5 on the back, front, and camera lens. The mobile phone is also IP68 water resistant.
All of this protection hasn’t bulked out the phone in any way. It weighs in at a lightweight 169g and is thin at 7.8mm. When you buy the LG V40 ThinQ you can choose between Moroccan Blue or Aurora Black.
A Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 2.8GHz octa-core processor with 6GB RAM powers the experience. For speed of handling tasks such as gaming, web browsing or photo viewing, it almost can’t be beaten.
Phone Set Up
Setting up security
For security and privacy, you can add either Face Recognition or Fingerprint ID. For convenience, you can activate Google Smart Lock, which keeps the phone unlocked while it is connected to trusted devices. When you want to lock or wake up the phone, you can double the screen, a feature which LG calls Knock On.
|Huawei P20 deals|
If you wish to bring over all of the content, photos, and apps from your old phone, then there is plenty of memory at 64GB. If you need more memory in the future then there is a memory expansion slot that accepts memory cards with a value of up to 2TB.
The LG V40 ThinQ does music really, really well. Sound enhancements include:
- Boombox Speaker – You can turn up the bass to fill any room.
- Quad DAC – This enhances audio so that it is louder, clearer and more accurate.
- DTS:X 3D Surround Sound – This creates a spatial sound that surrounds you, including from above.
The audio is tuned by Meridian and you can go to town with the Boombox Show feature where a strobe light and screen visuals dance to the beat.
OS and features
The LG V40 ThinQ runs on Google’s Android 8.1 Oreo operating system. You get a special version of the Google Assistant that has LG Integration for carrying out LG-device specific tasks.
Further features of note include QuickMemo+ were you can write, draw or schedule tasks by time or location. The LG Health fitness app is also preinstalled.
Camera & Video
The first three camera lenses are on the rear and these work together to create a Triple Shot experience. To begin with, you get a live preview through the three camera lenses and you can capture all three photos in one click. The lenses are as follows:
- Standard – This is a 12MP lens with a 78-degrees field of view.
- Super Wide-Angle – This is a 16MP lens with a 107-degrees field of view.
- Telephoto Zoom – This is a 12MP lens with a 45-degrees field of view.
There are many photography features including:
- Cine Shot – You can animate parts of the photo that have movement, while the remainder of the frame stays static.
- 3D Light Effect – There are five effects; Natural, Softbox, Contour, Stage and Stage Black & White.
- Portrait – You can blur the background.
- Backdrop – Choose from a selection of coloured backgrounds.
- AI Cam – This recognises 19 subjects and recommends four optimised filters.
- AI Composition – This balances photos by applying the rule of thirds.
- Google Lens – This uses AI to identify landmarks, artwork, and animals, in order to give you information about them. Google Lens can also perform real-time language translations.
- 16x Continuous Zoom – This includes 2x optical zoom, 5x digital zoom, and 1.6x optical zoom-out.
- Super Bright Camera – For low light photography.
Further shooting modes include Food, Film Effect with 17 preset filters, HDR10 quality video recording, Point Zoom, Slo-Mo (240 frames per second), and Time-Lapse Video. There is also a Video Studio where you can merge up to fifty photos or videos, add music, trim them and add theme effect overlays.
Dual front camera with Selfie-Light
This camera has a standard 8MP lens and a 90-degree 5MP Wide-Angle Selfie lens. Selfie related actions include:
- My Avatar – Take a picture of yourself and create an Avatar with your features.
- AR Emoji – Have some fun with 3D animals that mimic your facial expressions.
- Makeup Pro – Change your lip colour and complexion or enhance your eyelashes and eyes.
|Huawei Mate 20 Pro deals|