LG G8 ThinQ review
Features, features, and more features
Our LG G8 ThinQ review finds a smartphone that has a crazy number of features, almost all of which are innovative and new to the smartphone scene. This miraculous LG phone has hand vein recognition technology and air motion commands, the latter of which you can see in Jennifer Lopez’s new music video called Medicine. Check it out below:
The LG G8 ThinQ has a 6.1” OLED FullVision display with QHD+ resolution. This resolution delivers 3,120x 1,440 pixels (564 pixels per inch) and bar one phone from Sony, this fine detail won’t be beaten.
Read the Sony Xperia 1 review here
The screen stretches from edge-to-edge, as is the current trend, and the Screen Colour feature adapts in different ways for gaming, watching sports, watching films or for conserving energy with eco.
You can use the phone in Mini View if you want to use one hand only and the Always-On Display makes essential information visible, even when the screen is off. The display is protected behind toughened Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
Keep up to Date
Fill in the form and be the first to know when the LG G8 ThinqQ is released.
Innovative new feature: Hear calls easily with the whole screen used as the phone’s speaker, so there is no call receiver and you can put your ear anywhere on the display.
Design and military grade toughness
The LG G8 ThinQ is made from smooth contoured glass and the back is extra durable thanks to Corning Gorilla Glass 6. This mobile is IP68 certified for water resistance and it has been tested to MIL-STD-810G standards for shock resistance.
You can choose between three colour variants which are Grey, Red, and Black. The weight and thickness are pretty typical at 167g and 8mm.
Powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 2.84GHz octa-core processor with 6GB RAM, there is no task too demanding for this phone. A heat pipe is also built in and this moves heat away from the processor so that you can enjoy gaming experiences hour after hour.
Phone Set Up
Multi ID comprises of a trio of security options that include 3D Face Unlock, Fingerprint ID, and Hand ID.
Innovative new feature: Hand ID uses hand vein recognition technology and a 3D sensor to scan your unique circulatory and hand patterns.
Moving your content onto the LG G8 ThinQ
The LG G8 ThinQ comes with an ample 128GB memory (102GB free to the user), which is plenty enough for moving your content over from you old phone. There is a memory card slot that supports cards with a value of up to 2TB.
Innovative new feature: Air Motion brings touchless commands to the LG G8 ThinQ.
|LG G7 deals|
Air Motion commands are ideal for if your hands are wet or dirty, or if you just want to do something in a cool new way. Air Motion will let you:
- Answer a call
- Adjust the volume
- Control media
- Take a selfie
- Snooze an alarm or timer
- Capture the screen
- Use app shortcuts
Crystal Sound OLED speaker
Innovative new feature: The Crystal Sound OLED speaker provides rich clarity by using the whole surface of the screen as the speaker.
The LG G8 ThinQ has further great audio-based tools and these include a Boombox speaker that gives power to bass and low-end sounds, through the inner resonance chamber.
You will be amazed by the 3D stereo DTS:X virtual surround sound and you can enhance your listening experience by activating the Boombox Show feature. This adds screen visuals and strobe light effects when playing music.
Android 9 Pie and LG UX 8.0
The Android OS gets a makeover with LG’s user interface and there are a few features worthy of mentioning here. The first is Barge-in that lets your Hey Google commands be heard, even when you are playing music. Super Far-Field Voice Recognition extends the voice recognition range to 5-metres away.
The LG integrated Google Assistant brings LG-exclusive tasks that are device specific. There is a handy LG Health app and App Scaling for improved multitasking.
Camera & Video
Dual rear camera
The LG G8 ThinQ has a dual camera with a 12MP standard lens and a 16MP super wide-angle lens. One of the new camera features includes AI Composition, which recognises up to three people to adjust the composition of the picture, using the rule of thirds.
Features supported by the rear camera only include:
- Night View – easily adjust the brightness with a slider
- Google Lens - search for what you see and translate foreign text
- 8x digital zoom
- YouTube Live
- 360 Panorama
|Huawei P30 deals|
Front and rear camera features
LG has really spoilt us with these tools that can be used by both the front and rear cameras:
- Spotlight – change the angle of lighting that illuminates a face
- Studio – change the colour of the background
- AI Cam – recognises what is in the scene to recommend the best effect and angle
- Portrait – blur the background for a bokeh effect
- My Avatar – create a personalised emoji by taking a photo of yourself
- Cine Shot – animate parts of videos
- AR Emoji – 3D animal graphics that mimic your facial expressions
- Film Effect – choose from 17 preset filters
- Flash Jump-Cut – create animated GIFs with photos taken every three seconds
8MP selfie camera
The selfie camera certainly doesn’t have the highest resolution that we have seen. However, it more than makes up for this, because yet again, the features and tools are excellent:
- 3D depth sensor – this capture selfies with custom backgrounds and adjustable lighting effects
- Story Shot – customise the background of your selfie by switching it out for a photo in your gallery or to an image taken at the same time with the rear camera
- Gesture Interval Shot – take four selfie in a row
- Makeup Pro – adjust your lip colour, complexion, eyelashes, and eyes
- Selfie Light – selfies are illuminated by the screen
Guess what? There are tools galore for creating exciting and dramatic video recordings:
- Video Portrait – blur the background of your recordings
- HDR10 Video Recording – capture life-like footage with a wider spectrum of colours and high-contrast
- 4K Video
- Point Zoom – automatically zoom in on any area of the screen
- Cine Effect – 16 different colour-grading presets
- Video Studio – merge up to 50 videos and photos, add music, add theme effect overlays, and trim the frame
- Wind Noise Filter