Huawei P40 Pro 5G review
Best camera phone on the market
Our Huawei P40 Pro 5G review uncovers a smartphone with the best camera and selfie camera, according to DxOMark. It significantly outperforms the camera on the Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, which should get everyone excited.
A very special screen
The 6.58” Quad-Curve Overflow OLED Display stretches into and over the corners like a liquid spreading out over a surface, giving it an ultra-cool look. The high resolution of 2,640x 1,200 pixels coupled with a 90Hz screen refresh rate, makes this Huawei phone ideal for gaming and streaming.
The ultra-fast kirin 990 5G 2.86GHz octa-core processor with 8GB RAM is also ideal for gamers. The chip is energy efficient when gaming, and there are no overheating issues thanks to the SuperCool system of 3D graphene. So, you can play for as long as you like and know that the phone’s battery reserves will still get you to the end of the day.
|Huawei P40 Pro 5G 128GB black deals|
Huawei P40 Pro colours
You can buy the Huawei P40 Pro in the UK in Black, Silver Frost, or Blush Gold. The phone has a matte finish, weighs in at 209g, and has IP68 water resistance, protecting it from accidental splashes and rainstorms.
Phone Set Up
AppGallery is the new app store
When you purchase a Huawei P40 Pro 5G, you can use the Phone Clone feature to bring over apps, such as Facebook, from your old phone or iPhone. New apps are available in the AppGallery, which is the world’s 3rd largest app store.
The phone is available with 128GB or 256GB of internal memory. Both models have a memory card slot so that you can add up to 256GB of additional storage.
The Huawei P40 Pro protects your privacy in several ways. To unlock the phone, you can use your fingerprint or Face Unlock. When reading notifications, the private notification feature senses if someone moves in behind you to snoop, and instantly hides the notification details.
There is a handy Password Vault, which will save your usernames and passwords, so you don’t need to remember them.
The Huawei P40 Pro runs on the EMUI 10 user interface, and this includes Huawei’s virtual assistant, Celia. Celia will help you make calls, reply to messages, add calendar events, check the weather, and play music. You can also use Celia to identify plants, check the calories on your plate, and translate menus.
|Huawei P40 Pro 5G 256GB black deals|
Further EMUI 10 features include the option to make a 3D Qmoji through the AR Lens, Scan to Shop, and switch to a cool looking Dark Mode. You can drag the App Dock in from the side to activate multi-window apps, and with Wi-Fi 6 Plus, you get a more reliable signal when it needs to penetrate through walls and floors.
Camera & Video
Ultra Vision Leica Quad Camera
The Huawei P40 Pro 5G has four cameras:
- 50MP Ultra Clarity Camera - This lens has an Ultra Vision Sensor for low light photography and 4-in-1 pixel binning, where the camera enhances photos at the pixel level. You also have access to the AI Portrait Studio and 45% better colour precision.
- 40MP Ultra-Wide Cine Camera – This lens is ideal for shooting ultra-low-light video, ultra-slow-motion footage at 7,680 frames per second, and high-definition 4K video.
- 12MP Telephoto Camera – This periscope lens gives you 5x optical zoom, 10x hybrid zoom, and 50x Max Zoom, all while capturing 40% more light.
- 3D Depth Sensing Camera – This lens gives you professional-grade bokeh effects (background blurring).
Photography fans will also love three features wrapped up within the Huawei Golden Snap AI tool:
- Best Moment - This recommends 1-3 of the best pictures from 4K moving pictures
- Remove Passersby – This helps you perfect portraits by deleting people walking by in the background
- Remove Reflection – This tool removes unwanted reflections
|Huawei P40 Pro 5G 256GB silver frost deals|
The Huawei P40 Pro 5G has an excellent 32MP front camera and IR Depth Camera. The IR Depth Camera helps you get natural bokeh effects while optimising skin colour, texture, detail, and lighting. You can also use the selfie camera to record 4K selfie videos.
All-day battery with Reverse Charge
The P40 5G has a very high-capacity 4,200mAh battery and the option to Reverse Charge other compatible wireless charging devices. Although the chargers are not in the box (you get a standard charger), the phone works with 40W SuperCharge and 27W Wireless SuperCharge chargers.
Next: Sony Xperia L4 review
Written by: Michael Brown