Myths about Mobile Phones

Myths about mobile phones

Myths are a common occurence with any piece of technology, or almost anything we use in most cases.

Some things cause us to get ill, others can put us in life threatening danger, but in all honesty many of these myths are completely false!

So we thought it fair, to show you some of the most ridiculous myths we've ever seen relating to smartphones.

Mobile phones cause fires at petrol stations

Mobile phones have shown no evidence of causing petrol fires

It is commonly believed that by using your mobile phone, or even by just having it switched on at a petrol station is putting you at risk of starting a fire.

To be quite honest, I was a firm believer of this one, glancing around cautiously if I ever tried to send a cheeky text message after pulling over to fill up.

However, this rumour has absolutely no truth in it, and has been circulating since the 1990s.

It was said that the static electricity emitted from mobile phones can cause the fuel to ignite, and while this is true to an effect, the amount of static electricity that a mobile phone actually produces is not enough to cause the fuel to combust.

You can charge your phone in the microwave

This hoax was very believable at first, but has since been outed officially.

Internet hoaxes like this have been prevolent since the conception of smartphones, with the most common myth being that you can charge your smartphone faster by putting it in the microwave for 1 minute.

This is of course an absolutely crazy notion which won't just completely destroy your smartphone, but also risks breaking your microwave. If you were to put your phone in the microwave, your battery would fry and possibly explode, depending on how long it's in the oven.

What gave this rumour traction was a well designed hoax advert which looked like it was from Apple, stating that iPhones had a feature called 'Wave' which allowed a full battery charge via microwave. 

Of course, many iPhone users wouldn't risk doing this, but an unfortunate few did, and ended up paying the price. Always remember, just because there's a picture of it somewhere, doesn't mean it's legit, always double check your facts!

Mobile phones can be used to open locked cars

Unfortunately your smartphone won't be able to help you unlock your car.

Another well believed myth about mobile phones is that they can be used as a means to open a car that has an electronic locking system.

It has been claimed that if you manage to misplace your keys, or lock them inside your car, you can unlock the said car simply by pressing the ‘unlock’ icon on your spare set…down the phone.

People really believe that the sound that the electronic key makes is enough to unlock the car, even if it is parked miles away from the spare set.

It may surprise you that the way that electronic locking works is not, in fact, by sound.

Cars can be locked and unlocked automatically because of radio waves, and so it is impossible to activate the electronic locking system without being in close proximity to the car. There goes that one then…

Mobile phones can cause electrocution

As long as you have an official charger and a working battery, you won't be getting electrocuted on the phone.

Finally, rumours that have spread around the globe regarding mobile phones include the claim that you can be electrocuted whilst using a mobile device if it is plugged into mains electricity.

Let’s face it, we’ve all used our mobiles either to send a text message or to make a call while it was still plugged into the wall to charge, and all of us are still here to tell the (rather exciting) tale today.

According to the scaremongers, using your phone when it is charging can allow electricity to slow through the handset, and into the user, thus resulting in an electric shock.

The rumour has been spread globally by email spammers, claiming that various people have recently been fatally electrocuted by using their mobile phones whilst they are charging.

People often get this rumour confused with some incidents where mobile phone batteries have blown up.

With cases of Blackberry's spontaneously coming alight whilst charging over night, causing severe damage.

However, these cases are rare, and are in fact due to faulty batteries, and do not, in any way, cause electric shocks.

So there we have it. Three myths about mobile phones busted.

So next time you put your phone on charge, drive to the local petrol station, or lock your keys in your car, remember: your mobile phone is an electronic device that provides entertainment and communication, not a fire-starting, electric shock-inducing, magic making accessory. 

Enjoy this article? Check out the rest of our articles about phones, networks and other cool stuff

Do you know of any more smartphone myths? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.

Find your perfect deal

XS SM MD LG