Almost every smartphone in UK is followed by a mini version and the unfortunate fact is that this usually means a dumber version of the original.
But, Sony has decided to overturn this trend with the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, which to me looks like a true contender for best mini smartphone of the year (available on pre-order now and stocked from 31st January 2014).
Waterproof for up to 30 minutes this premium smartphone is supplied with a built-in camera that is as good as Sony’s compact digital cameras. Superior Auto removes the guess work by automatically recognising 36 scene types and the Exmor RS 20.7 MP sensor delivers sharp, blur free and stunning results.
The camera’s intelligence is further demonstrated as it combines itself perfectly with other smartphone features such as Social Live where you can broadcast videos via Facebook or Timeshift where 61 frames are captured, even before you press the shutter.
As most buyers will be replacing an old Apple or Android phone Sony have wisely integrated Xperia Transfer which is the ultra-easy and safe way to move your old contacts, bookmarks, apps, photos, music and messages onto the Xperia Z1 Compact.
Further premium elements include Sony BRAVIA technologies used in the Sony TV range for an optimised viewing experience. The Z1 Compact is no slouch either with a quad-core processor and super long lasting battery.
Extending the Sony experience is an exciting prospect on the Z1 Compact with an attachable lens style compact camera device for professional imaging, magnetic charging dock for viewing media at the perfect angle and compatibility with the SmartWatch 2 (SW2).
1. Motion detection for blur-free images
2. BIONZ image engine for accurately capturing and enhancing colours
3. One piece aluminium frame
4. IP55 certified against dust
5. 4.3” HD display with 342 pixels per inch
6. TRILUMINOS display for hard-to-reproduce aqua blues, reds and emerald greens
7. Asynchronous processor with independently powered cores for saving power
8. 3D gaming with up to 50% increased graphic performance
9. Info-eye gives information on photographed objects right on your viewfinder
10. Underwater photography capabilities at up to a 1.5 metre depth
So how does the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact compare to other mini smartphones?
|||Sony Xperia Z1 Compact||HTC One Mini||Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini|
|OS||Android v4.3||Android v4.2||Android v4.2|
Written by: Michael Brown